Thursday, June 28, 2012

Valerie the Velonaut

Valerie the Velonaut -- 16 x 20 inches, Acrylic on Museum Board on Panel, 2012

In this painting I depict the adventurous Valerie who is pedaling across the country in her velomobile.  A velomobile is an enclosed recumbent tricycle.  These are popular in the Netherlands, where most of them are made.  Most velomobiles in this country are imported, although some European models are starting to be manufactured here.  This model is the Strada made by Blue Velo in Canada.  Valerie's velo sports a custom paint job and covers over the spoke tires (two in front, one in back like a tadpole trike).  Velomobiles are about a yard wide and from seven to nine feet long, weighing as much as 75 pounds.  Despite the weight, they are faster and much more efficient than even racing bikes, due to an aerodynamic shape that cuts down on drag.  If I had the money and the time to go places, I'd have one of these!

To see more of my artwork go to my website at www.stephenwardeanderson.com

If you like my work, you may friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment