Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sleeping Titania

Sleeping Titania, Acrylic on Museum Board on Panel, 24 x 30 inches.

This is a painting I did in September of 2009 and was a part of my show "Mystical Worlds" at Packer-Schopf Gallery in Chicago in February of 2010.  (It is, by the way, still available for sale at the gallery.)
Inspired by Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream it depicts the queen of the fairies Titania asleep by "the bank where the wild thyme grows" and being watched over by her fairy court, Puck, Moth, Peaseblossom, Cobweb, and Mustardseed.
I viewed several film versions of the play to get ideas, but I ended up working with my own interpretations.  I was reminded of the picture when I read that there will be an off-Broadway production of A Midsummer Night's Dream this spring.  (Playing Hermia will be a favorite of mine, Christina Ricci, whom I love in Sleepy Hollow, Pumpkin, and Penelope.)

No comments:

Post a Comment